Eighteen years succesful senior leadership experience with a track record of success.
After twelve years of leading and developing front line charities and regeneration projects, where we made a difference in thousands of lives and successfully helped places to thrive, I moved into leading change at a local, regional and national level.
Over the last eight years, I have been involved in developing industrial policy, creating jobs, supporting business and workers, improving mental health services and developing media platforms for people’s voices to be heard.
- Leading and building the award winning A Way Out charity that improved and made a difference in thousands of lives across the Tees region.
- Leading a charity consortium working with four major Northern Charities to influence change within commissioning, mental health, housing and addictions.
- Thematic strategic engagement – I have had a seat on a number of strategic boards including: North East LEP Brexit Group; Children and Young People’s Substance Misuse Commissioning Board; Teenage Pregnancy Partnership; Synergy; Young Peoples VCS Consortium (Chair & Vice Chair).
- Service development: Involved in developing various sustainable services that met needs of the local community such as young people’s prevention programmes, troubled families work, youth clubs, drop in services, counselling, foodbanks, sexual exploitation services and addiction programmes. I ensured funded projects were delivered efficiently, effectively, within budget and on time.
- Developing networks and creating spaces for businesses and individuals involved in our creative and cultural industries.
- Developing and running festivals.
- Developing hubs for new start ups in creative and not for profit sector.
- Developing strategic plans and raising finance for projects.
- Supporting the food and drink sector as a Director of Food and Drink North East.
- Developing media projects such as We Are Our Media and The Tees Online, to celebrate the great things that happen in the region and campaign for the not-so-great things, to be better.
- Setting up a pub politics night where people from Teesside come together to discuss the issues that matter to them.
- Developed a young people’s voter registration project and have put on and supported various other political events and discussions aimed at engaging children young people, women and those on the margins.
- Starting a people’s tabloid, that give a voice to hidden voices into the issues that most affect them.
- As Director of Northern Inclusion Consortium, have led policy development on homelessness and mental health.
- Contributing to All Party Parliamentary Groups (AAPGs) including Prostitution and Global Sex Trade, Apprenticeships, and Civil Society.
- Working as a policy and campaigns officer for Northern TUC, I developed, supported and contributed to policies on Brexit, Devolution, regional industrial strategy, transport and local government cuts.
- Working as a researcher for a county Durham MP, I covered issues such as welfare reform, the charity sector, local government cuts, place regeneration and housing.
- As a Campaigns and Policy Officer for the TUC, I created and led campaigns around local government cuts, regional industrial strategy, school cuts, and joining a trade union.
- I have been involved in, and sometimes led, campaigns on the NHS.
- Developed or supported various campaign groups in response to governments cuts, racism and poverty.
- Developed and contributed to policies and schemes with Durham’s Police Crime Commissioner on tackling racism and hate crime.
- Campaigned against unfair benefit sanctions.